History of Lodge #72
The Freemasons Occidental Lodge No. 72 was chartered in 1891, just one year after Ballard was incorporated as a city. In those days, Ballard was a fishing and lumber town with 1500 residents and ten lumber mills. In fact, it was promoted as the "Shingle Capital of the World".
Ballard continued to grow and in 1906 voted to become part of Seattle. The Freemasons were also adding members and in 1924 built their current home, a new brick building on the corner of N.W. Market St. and 20th Ave. The street level is occupied by business tenants, and the second level is used by the Lodge and a number of other Masonic organizations which meet there.
Emerald Lodge No. 134 of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC was Lawton's sister Lodge. It has since retired its Charter around 2004 and has been absorbed into neighboring Lodges.
Perfection Lodge No. 75 of the Grand Lodge Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of British Columbia in New Westminster, BC was Thomas M Reed's sister Lodge.
Hercules Lodge No. 17 of the Grand Lodge of Prince Hall Free and Accepted Masons of Washington and Jurisdiction in Seattle, WA is another special visiting Lodge.
In 1990, the members of Lawton Lodge No. 292, who met in the nearby neighborhood of Magnolia, merged into Occidental Lodge. Again in 1999, another merger took place. This time it was the members of Thomas M. Reed Lodge No. 225, who met on Capitol Hill. Both mergers have made us stronger and blest us with great men and friends to grow with as well. With about 243 members, we intend to remember our merged Lodge's histories, grow and continue the best traditions of Masonry and service to our community.
Occidental Lodge No. 72 also has four affiliated Lodges with which it proudly maintains special Masonic relations:
Mt. Lebanon Lodge No. 72 of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC is Occidental's original sister Lodge.
Early downtown Ballard, circa 1890. This view is the corner of NW Market Street and 6th Avenue NW in Ballard.
The Stimson Lumber Company on Salmon Bay was one of ten lumber mills that made early Ballard the "Shingle Capital of the World".
In 1924, the Ballard Freemasons hired a well known architect to design and build a modern new home for their lodge in the center of downtown Ballard.